This ain’t your daddy’s Boy Scouts. Nowadays, scouts have traded in their compass for a GPS, and values are something you find at the store.
The Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts can now earn Belt Loops & Academics Pins for finding the best deals on video games!
Renee Fairrer, spokeswoman for the Boy Scouts of America, says they just adapting to the times.
“Let’s be serious: the kids are already into video games,” said Fairrer. “You can’t sit on the couch for 13 hours a day and play video games. We want to get them when they’re that Cub Scout age, when they have that strong parental influence, to be able to make those decisions.”
Tiger Cubs, Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may complete requirements in a family, den, pack, school, or community environment. Tiger Cubs must work with their parents or adult partners. Parents and partners do not earn loops or pins.
Complete these three requirements:
- Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
- With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
- Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.
Earn the Video Games belt loop and complete five of the following requirements:
- With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
- Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
- Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
- Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.
- List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
- Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
- Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
- Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty.
- With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system.